As Winter Storm Jonas hits Long Island, if your first priority is clearing off your stoop, walkways and driveway so you can run to the store to buy more milk and bread (or beer), here’s some suggestions to help speed melting and minimize damage to masonry when using a de-icing product:
• Before applying, shovel and remove as much snow and ice as possible.
• Apply the product sparingly in the area of highest foot traffic.
• Apply the product away from the base of the building.
• Assist the melting process by shoveling and removing snow and slush, especially away from house.
• In the spring, wash down sidewalks, stoops and areas near vegetation to help disperse the residue of the product.
Magnesium chloride is the newest deicing salt. It continues to melt snow and ice until the temperature reaches -13 F. The salt releases 40% less chloride into the environment that either rock salt or calcium chloride. It is far less damaging to concrete and plants. It is the best choice.
Remember to call us in the Spring, we offer free inspections of your existing masonry work and will check for possible need of maintenance or repair, which will save you from having potential problems down the road.